Meet the Coaches
Colin Haughton - Head Coach
- Three times English National Singles Champion
- Ex World Ranking of 19
- 13 years full time coaching experience
- Previous Head Coach to Manchester Performance Centre
- Coaching philosophy - Don't put in half the effort unless you are happy with half the results
Mantra - "Success stops when complacency starts"
Ian Palethorpe - Head Coach
- Ex World Doubles Ranking of 22
- Former Senior Level Doubles & Mixed Doubles International
- 9 years full time coaching experience
- Previous Head Coach to Merseyside Performance Centre
- Coaching philosophy - Champions never train in their comfort zone
Mantra - "You will always miss 100% of the shots you don't take"
Dan Font - NWBA Supplement Coach and Player Mentor
- Current Welsh National Champion
- Highest World Ranking of 82
- Coaching philosophy - Training comes before winning but winning never comes before training
Mantra - "Don’t count the days; make the days count"
How the NWBA Formed
The vision was to create the North West Badminton Academy (NWBA) by joining two individual coaches; Colin Haughton & Ian Palethorpe; thus creating one united Badminton establishment.
Between Colin and Ian there is over twenty years of coaching experience. They have coached many young children and beginners to eventually go on and become Junior National Champions across every age group. Some of these players went on to become European Junior Champion’s, Youth Olympic Medallists and Great Britain programme players currently training full time at the National Badminton Centre (NBC).
The formation of the NWBA will allow them to pool their knowledge and expertise within one structured and cohesive team, thereby taking their individual achievements to even greater levels. This will inevitably create a far larger player base under the expert guidance of the coaches at an earlier stage of each player's individual development. This would simply mean one thing; more players, more future champions, more often.
The recruitment of Daniel Font into the coaching structure completes what is already a high pedigree of coaches working within the NWBA. Collectively the NWBA will therefore be able to deliver performance coaching at all levels, enabling every individual to fulfil their potential through a positive team ethos. The NWBA will not only provide elite coaching but it will deliver badminton excellence to all.
"The strength of the team is within each individual; the strength of each individual is within the team"